Friday, October 8, 2010

China Toilet 101



Tradional Chinese Toilet
  OK this is one of the things I may never get used to over here! Yes as you can see there is NO door!  And Yes I believe that is fecal matter on the floor! This is the first time experiencing no door...however I did read about it so I knew I would encounter it at some point.
Taking a pee break in this country is a bit like gambling....you never know if you'll win or lose! Most bathrooms have NO toilet paper,or a place to hang your purse...as you can see you do not want to put it on the floor! And when your finished peeing and allow yourself to drip dry... you then have no way to wash your hands. Most of these squatter toilets have a dirty old sink with some dirty old rags NO soap and nothing to dry your hands with. So finally after months of stupidity I have some packages of tissue in my purse and a bottle of hand sanitizer.  I wish this picture was a scratch and sniff..... This was by no means the worst bathroom I was in,and it doesn't seem to matter where you are. You could be in a higher end place and think the washroom will be nice and maybe even have a western toilet.....Nope it's gross! The woman's washrooms here are busy like back home, but there is no etiquette when it comes to taking turns. I literally pulled a girl out of the stall one day! There was a line and she walked right in front of everyone right into the washroom.....ummm no! get in line! That is my greatest pet peeve here, they are pushy and they will step right in front of you ,if you tell them to get behind you they will! ( and physically grabbing people is acceptable here...not like at home where you would be charged with assault).......Ok enough of my toilet rant! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I heard a news article once where in Singapore they peed in elevators, so you're a little better off than that. So many fascinating cultural experiences there...Thanks for sharing D Townsend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I so couldn't live there. I'd be beating people up constantly! lol You would think that a country with that big a population would address basic hygiene more aggressively.

    ReplyDelete